To The Sea | Tarte Rainforest Of The Sea Drench Lip Splash Matte Lipsticks | Review & Swatches | labellesirene.ca

Anyone who knows me is well aware that I firmly believe in mermaids and I firmly believe I was one in a past life (my blog name is even about mermaids!). I LOVE all things mermaids so when Tarte released their new aquatic inspired collection, I may have squealed from happiness.

I’m already a pretty massive fan of everything Tarte Cosmetics; but their new Rainforest of The Sea collection is everything I could have dreamt for. The packaging, the concept and the products I have tested are what my mermaid dreams are made of so let’s break it down and start with these beautiful new matte lipsticks.

The new Tarte Drench Lip Splash Lipsticks retail for $26 CAD/$22 USD and come in 12 absolutely stunning, vibrant shades.

The Packaging

The Lip Splash lipsticks are beautifully packaged. They come in slim, feather weight, metal tubes with a GORGEOUS gold and purple ombre print. They are small, light and portable with only 0.085 oz of product which is less than the average lipstick at 0.20 oz. The tubes being so light and small are however not the most sturdy.

The Details

The Lip Splash lipsticks are some of the most intensely pigmented lip colours I have ever seen and their formula is a cut above the average matte lipstick.

They are beautiful creamy lipsticks with a dreamy lip butter-esque feel and a silky matte finish. They have excellent colour payoff for full opacity in a single application and a streak free finish with it’s ultra creamy and lightweight texture.

It is extremely creamy, so much so that it glides on like butter but if you push too hard on the bullet it might break. The thin silky formula is very comfortable, it glides on without tugging or pulling and is easy to smooth into place.

It sets to a velvety matte finish that is not at all drying due to hydrating ingredients in the formula. So unlike matte liquid lipsticks, these have a soft matte appearance but the feel of a normal cream lipstick. They wear for a good 5-6 hours before evenly fading and they do not have any issues with feathering or migration. However, they are not resistant to transfer so keep your kisses to yourself.

The Formula

The Lip Splash formula is infused with a number of ingredients to keep your lips hydrated and smooth including –

The Rainforest of the Sea Complex – a proprietary blend of algae and marine flower extracts to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while soothing and softening the skin.

Sodium Hyaluronate Filing Spheres – deliver and retain moisture for optimal hydration.

Jojoba Oil – soothes and leaves lips soft, supple and smooth

Pomegranate Oil – helps brighten lacklustre skin and fight free radicals

Cupuacu Butter – includes sterols that help firm and drench lips in moisture

Murumuru Butter – rich in essential fatty acids and pro vitamin A to help restore elasticity and soothe lips.

All of these ingredients work together to create lipsticks that feel like nothing on and wear like a dream, never drying out your lips, causing irritation or leaving a bad taste in your mouth.

(Top to Bottom – Skinny Dip, Beach Bum & Cabana Boy)

All 12 shades are bold, beautiful and full coverage in one swipe. There are delicate nudes, bright summery pinks, hot reds and vampy purples all of which are just plain gorgeous. I have three shades at the moment and I will be adding more to my collection.

Skinny Dip is a muted light peach nude with warm undertones.

Cabana Boy is a muted, medium rose mauve with cool undertones.

Beach Bum is a muted, medium rosy brown with warm undertones.

All three lipsticks are beautiful, multi dimensional nudes that would work for a number of skintones. Cabana Boy is my personal favourite and it has seen A LOT of wear so I can definitely say that these lipsticks are a winner.

I cannot recommend these lipsticks enough to someone who wants a beautiful lipstick with incredible pigmentation and an ultra comfortable wear with a matte finish. These lipsticks are a cut above all other matte lipsticks and the perfect place to start if you are unsure of the whole matte world.

The Tarte Rainforest Of The Sea Drench Lip Splash Lipsticks are available at Sephora and Tarte

1. Lana // The Joy Blog
    March 30, 2016 / 1:30 pm

I love me a good matte finish. I want to see the vampy purple. I'm quite pale naturally and love to wear very dark wines and oxbloods with very little eye makeup. The contrast with my skin usually pulls very well! Thanks for your review of the product design as well. With lipstick nothing frustrates me more than the lipstick breaking when it's new!

2. Marette Flora
    March 30, 2016 / 1:31 pm

Wow, these are gorgeous! I've never seen prettier packaging for lip shades. Floradise | http://www.maretteflora.com

3. Joyce Chen
    March 30, 2016 / 1:48 pm

I have been eyeing this collection for a while. "Cabana Boy" looks like something I could wear. Thank you for sharing the swatches!

4. Kassi Mortensen
    March 30, 2016 / 1:58 pm

All three are very pretty shades!! And so fun to review lipstick that coincides with your blog name!!

5. Natalie Timperio
    March 30, 2016 / 2:20 pm

This line has been dominating my Insta feed, I've heard SO many people talking about it too! Thanks for the review Courtney! I'm going to have to give these lipsticks a whirl. I love that they're matte but hydrating. I want to try the foundation too! x Natalie http://www.thegirlwithbangs.com

6. Jessica Ryles
    March 30, 2016 / 2:33 pm

Ohh those colors are pretty, and I love Tarte products. Must resist going out and buying all three! RESIST IT!!

7. Crazy Shenanigans-JMO
    March 30, 2016 / 3:05 pm

I love tarte products! Their resonance in price and great quality!

8. Rachel
    March 30, 2016 / 3:18 pm

I'm a huge fan of tarte products but have not yet tried their lipsticks! I'll have to add these to my list, the colors are gorgeous!Rachel | http://www.seashellsandsparkles.com

9. Summer @ Coffee With Summer
    March 30, 2016 / 4:11 pm

I need skinny dip! I almost bought one of these the other day, but hesitated. I'm glad I read your review – looks like I'll need to splurge soon!

10. Justine Y @ Little Dove Creations
    March 30, 2016 / 4:44 pm

I love the packaging so beautiful!! I would love to give these a try. You always do such a great job reviewing. And your pictures are always so gorgeous!

11. My Bashful Life
    March 30, 2016 / 5:50 pm

I love Tarte and I always like a Matte finish. As always their packaging is great!xoxo Mickey http://www.mybashfullife.com/

12. Shaylee Anne
    March 30, 2016 / 6:25 pm

I will buy these solely based on the packaging! But I also love matte finishes so these sound like a win-win!

13. LILIXOANA
    March 30, 2016 / 6:39 pm

Those Colors are so beautiful for the everyday look.Liliana | LiliX❤ana

14. Fatima Lora
    March 30, 2016 / 7:16 pm

I can't decide which one I like best! The beach bum one is perfect for a day on the beach, but I'm pulled between the other two. :/

15. Monika k
    March 30, 2016 / 8:11 pm

I am dying to try out the rainforest line from Tarte. Have heard so much about it! The lippies look amazing especially beach bum color. Definitely going to try them out when in Sephora! Thanks for sharing love :)Love,Monika | http://www.palateforstyle.com

16. molly
    March 30, 2016 / 8:31 pm

tarte is one of my favourite makeup brands and this range looks absolutely amazing, i need to get my hands on everything from the line!m0llylouise.com

17. Natalie
    March 30, 2016 / 8:54 pm

Oh my gosh, so much love for these. Definitely going to have to get at least one of them. All three shades you have are gorgeous!

18. Andrea Bella
    March 30, 2016 / 8:59 pm

I love this post! Just found your blog and this review was so helpful.I loveeee tarte and a matte lipstick so I'm definitely gonna have to try one of these. Their entire rainforest of the sea collection looks amazing.xx,Andrea(www.belairbeautifulblog.com)

19. Tescha Chetty
    March 30, 2016 / 9:00 pm

Wow-love the design. Ive being in the beauty packaging Industry for 5 years and i must say this is a brilliant design. Do they stock this in South Africa?

March 30, 2016 / 9:17 pm

nice colors but my fav. is Beach Bum 😀

March 31, 2016 / 12:28 am

All of these products look amazing!I am loving the packaging.xoxo, Jenny

22. Adina M
    March 31, 2016 / 12:50 am

The packaging of these is so pretty, that alone makes me want to get one! Cool shades too, thanks for swatching!

23. lauraxloves
    March 31, 2016 / 1:27 am

Love Tarte! The packaging is so cute and these colours look fab xx

24. Eloise Maoudj-Riley
    March 31, 2016 / 1:49 am

I love the look of these, super pretty, slim, and with great colors… I want some!

25. Melrose Elise
    March 31, 2016 / 2:38 am

Wow this lipstick packaging is gorgeous!

26. Sockwun Phng
    March 31, 2016 / 3:05 am

I love the packaging! It is definitely reminiscent of the sea. Thank you for sharing the swatches; those are lovely shades!Sockwun | ExtraExtravagant.com

27. Patricia Conte
    March 31, 2016 / 4:04 am

The packaging for sure is gorgeous! I love the matte of these, and love that they don't create a dry look. Pretty shades!

28. Melissa
    March 31, 2016 / 4:36 am

Once again you've shared something I MUST try! I love all things mermaid as well! I'm a big fan of tarte cosmetics! Loooove the shades!

29. R. Fonyó Barbara
    March 31, 2016 / 6:44 am

These lipsticks are beautiful and the package is awesome.

30. Mlle Coconath
    March 31, 2016 / 1:24 pm

Love the colors!xxMademoiselle Coconathhttp://mllecoconath.com

31. Kristina Camille Padgett
    March 31, 2016 / 2:03 pm

I love taste products and haven't gotten a chance to try this lip color out yet! It looks great! kristinacamille.com

32. Angie Scheie
    March 31, 2016 / 2:08 pm

I'm sold! The packaging is gorgeous and the ingredients are calling my name:) Us redheads, of course, are secret mermaids just like Ariel. 🙂 xo

33. Author TP Keane
    March 31, 2016 / 2:27 pm

wow, even just to start with I love the casing it comes in. These are so my colours too.

34. Jordyn Upchurch
    March 31, 2016 / 3:32 pm

I CANNOT wait until my town get's our ULTA (Later this year) so that I can finally try out all of these products without taking a gamble online!xoxo, SSThe Southern Stylista

35. Never Say Die Beauty
    March 31, 2016 / 3:38 pm

What gorgeous shades you got! I am so intrigued by your review of these hydrating matte lipsticks. In fact, it sounds like an oxymoron – a hydrating matte lipstick. Can it be? I wish I could get a sample of these beauties. I have such dry lips, almost every matte I've tried has dried them out. The Tarte crayons and lip balm I tried in the past both had peppermint oil which irritated and dried out my lips so I've steered clear of their lippies. But these sound like heaven. I must read the full ingredient list.

36. Me Squared
    March 31, 2016 / 4:33 pm

Can I just say, I LOVE the packaging for these lip colors, probably the prettiest lipstick casing I've seen. Cabana Boy is my favorite, it definitely looks like a fun make-up item to own. 🙂

37. Ana Ojha
    March 31, 2016 / 5:30 pm

The Tarte Drench Lip Splash Lipstick looks awesome. I can't wait to check this out! Thanks for sharing this post with us!

38. XO Kerry
    March 31, 2016 / 6:18 pm

I love Tarte cosmetics! Beach bum is so pretty. Going to check these out right now. I'm in the market for a shade for my upcoming Vegas wedding 😉

March 31, 2016 / 7:45 pm

Dying to get my hands on these lipsticks! Currently loving the Tarteist lip paints so these are next on my list.xo Chelseachelseapearl.com

40. Mistle Petrey
    March 31, 2016 / 9:02 pm

I have been on such a tarte kick lately. I recently purchased several of their products from the rainforest collection. These lipsticks look amazing. My favorite is Cabana Boy. I will have to check these out!

41. Kerry O'Byrne
    March 31, 2016 / 9:13 pm

Ive been meaning to try these. Tarte's Amazonian clay foundation is my holy grail!

42. Ursula Ball
    March 31, 2016 / 9:21 pm

I like Beach and Cabanna lipsticks colors plus being packed with great moisturizers for the lips!Ursulawww.blueridgebeautyblogger.com

43. Laura Hartley
    March 31, 2016 / 10:06 pm

The packaging is absolutely gorgeous!! Love that the ingredients are sea-related too.

44. A Peachy Sonder
    March 31, 2016 / 11:24 pm

These are beautiful! I love Tarte products, they are great quality and I love their ingredient choice.

45. ColorMeSoCrazy
    March 31, 2016 / 11:55 pm

I loved everything about this post! I'm a mermaid, too! I'm in love with this entire collection so I really have zero criticisms.

46. kenia
    April 1, 2016 / 12:32 am

The colors are so pretty, I want to try them all!

47. MaBelleVie Lifestyle Blog
    April 1, 2016 / 1:12 am

They are goegeous! I need to check them out

48. katie // a touch of teal
    April 1, 2016 / 1:29 am

I love Tarte products, I definitely will have to check these out! Thanks for the review. I also love the packaging they come in!​xx katie // a touch of teal

49. Megan Chronicles
    April 1, 2016 / 4:38 am

I was so excited about this collection too— Tarte has been killing it lately! This formula looks similar to the Amuse Bouche lipsticks I just reviewed with some of the same oils. I'll have to check these lippies out! thechroniclesofmegan.com

50. Amanda
    April 1, 2016 / 5:03 am

These are amazing! I love TARTE and think it's so important to use natural makeup products, and these do not disappoint. 😀

51. gilbert Mutange
    April 1, 2016 / 6:12 am

Quite amazing and beautiful collections. I love it.

52. gilbert Mutange
    April 1, 2016 / 6:12 am

Quite amazing and beautiful collections. I love it.

53. Monica Ghosh
    April 1, 2016 / 7:03 am

I thought I was over matte lipstick but leave it to Tarte to pull me back in, that Beach Bum shade is irresistible, plus the packaging is gorgeous. Thanks for a helpful review!

54. Cori Large
    April 1, 2016 / 12:54 pm

I don't wear lipstick, but the cases of these are really pretty.

55. miranda chan
    April 1, 2016 / 6:20 pm

Cabana boy – i'm allllll over that!

56. Sharon Beauty Prime
    April 2, 2016 / 10:17 pm

Love all three shades you picked. They look so pigmented and the color looks gorgeous. Great review!

57. Lindsay Satmary
    April 3, 2016 / 2:31 am

That packaging! Wow! It's absolutely beautiful!

58. A Certain Romance
    June 10, 2016 / 10:46 pm

I love the look of the swatches, and you're right, the packaging is incredible!